With this Sunday being Mother’s Day, we thought we would discuss the cool matriarchs of Liberty Hall!
- Susannah French Livingston (1723-1789): Mom of 13 children! Not only was she a proud mama bear, she also took care of Liberty Hall while her husband, Governor William Livingston, was busy fighting the British in the American Revolutionary War.
- Susan Livingston Kean Niemcewicz (1759-1833): Only had one child but that child, Peter Kean, was the one who purchased Liberty Hall for her in 1811 so it was back in family hands.
- Lucy Halsted Kean (1826-1912): She had 11 children, 9 who grew to adulthood! While her son, John was a Senator in Washington D.C., she moved down there to be with him and run his household with his 3 sisters.
- Katharine Winthrop Kean (1866-1943): Mother of 2 sons. Both of them would go off to fight in World War I. One would continue to run the family businesses while the other became a Congressman.
- Mary Alice Barney Kean (1902-1995): Had 3 children – 2 sons and a daughter. Knowing her love for Liberty Hall, it was her 3 children who ensured that the family house would become a museum after her death.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there! We love and appreciate you!